Washington, DC and Online - Fig Leaf Software, a full service digital agency and technical training firm, today added a new Fast Track to Syntactically Awesome Stylesheets class.
Sass is the most mature, stable, and powerful professional grade CSS extension language in the world. Sass lets you use features that don't exist in CSS yet like variables, nesting, mixins, inheritance and other nifty goodies that make writing CSS fun again. Once you start tinkering with Sass, it will take your preprocessed Sass file and save it out as a normal CSS file that you can use in your web site. This one-day course covers Sass and Compass (a CSS authoring framework for Sass) development essentials. Whether you're developing a static site, a dynamic site with a CMS (Drupal), or building an advanced web-based application (Sencha), you'll find that Sass is an indispensable tool for taming and optimizing your CSS.
To gain the most from this class, you should already have:
- A basic understanding of CSS syntax
- Familiariaty with basic programming concepts such as defining variables and using functions
During this 1 day hands-on, instructor-led course you will refactor a very long and difficult to maintain CSS file into a set of .scss (Sassy CSS) files. You'll learn how to restructure your CSS for optimal maintainabilty and produce minified production builds. You'll also learn how to use advanced CSS tricks such as base-64 encoding of images to significantly increase the performance of your web sites and web applications.
UNIT 1: INTRODUCING THE COURSE
- Introducing Compass and Sass
- Debugging CSS
- Working with Variables
- Using Partials to Organize your Stylesheet
- Nesting Rules
- Creating Responsive Themes with @media Directives
- Defining Inheritance with @extend
- Defining and Invoking Mixins
- Using Control Directives
- Defining Sass Functions
- Configuring Browser Support
- Using Compass to Support CSS3 Features
- Using Compass for Typography
- Embedding Images in your Stylesheet
- Using Sprites to Improve Performance